6.26.2013

DELETING MY EMAIL APP

A few weeks ago, I came upon this blog post by Lara Casey and it really spoke to me. She talks about the importance of setting boundaries for yourself and your time, and the cycle that you can fall into if you don't. I realized I was definitely in that cycle of working inefficiently all the time, rather than working efficiently during the week day and relaxing / spending time with family & friends during the evenings and weekends. 

delete your email app and increase productivity


While I haven't completely made all of the changes she recommends (I still like to post pictures on Instagram over the weekends), the one major change that I made was taking the email app off of my phone. It surprised me how scared I was to do this, but you guys...

this has changed my life.

I was worried that I would miss important things without email, but the truth is that with email on my phone, I was missing everything! Even though a lot of my emails are junk, just hearing that beep go off a million times a day caused this tiny bit of stress that just accumulated. I would check my phone when I was at restaurants with Wes or playing fetch with Chester or trying to design something for the shop. It was just a constant distraction. 

Now, I check my email for the first hour that I'm working in the morning (around 8-9am) and the last hour (around 5-6pm). If I'm waiting for an important email, I may check it from the computer a couple of additional times, but that doesn't cause the same reaction in me as that demanding BEEP on my phone. And clients don't expect instant messages back if you don't set up that expectation. 

Now, when I'm working I'm working. When I'm at the gym, I'm at the gym. When I'm eating dinner with Wes, I'm engaged and focused on the conversation.

I highly recommend taking email off of your phone, even just for one day, and seeing how you react. I bet that, like me, you will feel instantly more relaxed and have an easier time focusing. It's a small change that makes a big difference in your efficiency at work as well as happiness with your family.

6 comments:

  1. ummm, I don't have an email app on my phone, at least I do but it's not working. But, I am at home a lot, with my laptop, which does have it on and your post is speaking volumes to me! Time to make changes I think...

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post is pretty interesting. I really never thought I could have a good read by this time until I found out this site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! that sounds like a great idea, but yes- also very scary! I have tried to limit the amount of times I check it but seeing that red message sign always gets me. Maybe I will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! This was so helpful. I've been actively trying to stay away from technology but it's taking discipline.

    Thanks for sharing Holly!
    xo Juley

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post for a 9 to 5er. As a small business owner I have to just know balance in my life. I cant delete my email apps or other apps that keep me connected to staff, customers or developers.

    I honestly believe we are attached to devices. When I wake up I try not to touch my phone for the first hour so there is peace within during that time. Hour before bed I dont touch the phone either.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...